Monday, January 25, 2010

Review Round-up

Let's talk about all the things I've been making!  Some you've seen coming from my meal plans - others are just random things I made 'cuz the mood struck me.


Green Beans with Cherry Tomatoes ***** 
I can't believe I forgot to tell you about this in my Holiday Eats review.  I made these for the Christmas Eve dinner the mini-chicks and I had.  It was so good - I was sad when they were all gone the next day.  I used fresh green beans and grape tomatoes cut in half.  I can't wait until summer when somebody (hint, hint - to my friends with gardens) gives me some green beans.


Perfect Southern Greens ***** 
These were very good - I think the pre-blanch did help with the bitterness and I ate the leftovers for lunch for a few days.  Good stuff.


Pork, Apple, and Ginger Stir-fry *** 
This was okay - pretty unmemorable.  I won't make it again with my little Costco pork roasts.  The chickies weren't huge fans.


Mahogany Beef Stew with Hoisin Sauce **** 1/2 
I mentioned in my post with pics that it turned out pretty sweet.  However, I ate the leftovers for a lunch for the next two or three days - and the sweetness really mellowed over time.  I think I'd make this again and freeze it, to be pulled out and thawed and then eaten.  


Green Chile Pork Roast ***** 
Now this is what I'm talkin' 'bout as a good use of my pork roasts!  We all enjoyed this very much.  I definitely think I'll make it again.... simple & tasty.


PW's Asian Noodle Salad ***** 
This is some good salad eatin', let me tell you!  It makes a TON, requires chopping, chopping, chopping, and uh, and a little more chopping.  I added the noodles to the salad fixings - but didn't add the dressing until I was ready to eat it.  I brought it a couple of days for lunch and had people following me to my desk asking, "what's that?" and  saying "that looks good".  


PW's Basic Macaroni & Cheese ***** 
It's the answer, people.  It is the answer.  Pure and simple... it's the egg.


Greek Chicken Casserole ***** 
This was sooooooooooo good.  I used my Costco Kalamata olives and a tad more feta cheese.  KK said, "it tastes wayyyyyyyy better than I thought it would."  LOL SS even ate it without complaint.  


Tomato Barley Soup **** 
KK started complaining that she didn't want "chunks" in her tomato soup - so I buzzed it with the hand blender before adding the barley.  I liked to way more than the chickies did.  SS complained loudly!

Company Cauliflower **
A big disappointment.  The cheese separated from the sour cream it was just a big gloppy mess.  :(  


Chole (Chickpea Stew) ***** 
mmmmmmmmmm....... it was so good.  Miss Picky Pants (aka as SS) did not like it because nothing I said wouldn't convince her that they weren't hominy, which she hates.  I tried and tried to tell her they weren't, but she wasn't having any of it.  Who made that girl so freakin' stubborn??!?!? (I actually blame my mother - LOL).  KK said it could have a 3 in her world - but it my world it is solid 5!


Best Ever Cinnamon Rolls *** 
Best ever?  Not for me.  It might be my inexperience in working successfully with yeast doughs - but they were dry and really lacking cinnamon in my opinion.  The dough was so sticky - I'm sure I over-worked it and made it dry, if I were to make them again (umm... which I won't - I'll try something different.  I'm dying to try these from Coleen - but didn't have the ingredients when the mood struck) I would more than double the cinnamon & butter.


Creamy Chicken Lasagna ***** 
I'm rating this a 5 because if I'd have used the recommended amount of sauce it would have been perfect.  I used too much and it was a bit soupy-ish, but the taste was very good.  Both the chickies loved it.


Heavenly Potatoes & Ham *** 1/2
It should have been better than it was - it was pretty dry (I'm not a fan of dry) and very lacking in flavor.  I'll just stick to a regular cheesy potatoes in the future.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Stumble Upon Toolbar