Sunday, January 24, 2010

Gray, Gray, Go Away.....


Wowsa... these gray days of January are startin' to wear pretty thin on my psyche!  I'm ready for some sunshine around here!  The only thing saving me is that little widget over there ----------------------------->
saying there are only 77 days to go!  YEA!  Our week is pretty ordinary.  LOL
Monday - Comfort food to the max.... chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, and mushroom gravy.  I got a giant package of cubed steak on sale awhile back and there are still hangin' in the freezer (with the whole chickens - I think I have a problem with buying whole chicken, I have no less then 5 in my freezer right now.  ???  I just can't resist them when they are on sale for $.77/lb!).  I think we will go Weight Watcher friendly and do the fake fry bake.  They are still pretty good that way.
Tuesday - Tina from Mommy's Kitchen  did a post about the Spaghetti a la Philly and it sounded just like she said, a nice change from regular spaghetti.  I will use THE SPAGHETTI SAUCE   and reduced fat cream cheese.  I bought a big bag 'o salad.  More veggies are the way around here!! KK has an away basketball again - so I'm not sure if she'll be able to partake, but more for SS & I... bwahhahahaahah
Wednesday - I bought some cabbage when I made PW's Asian Noodle Salad (which I'll review soon and try to see if any of the 5000000000 pictures I took of ait turned out!) and I discovered that the chickies really like cooked cabbage!  Who knew?  I sauteed the leftovers up with  little butter, salt, and pepper and they both licked the bowls clean!  SS even wanted more!  So, I went searching for cabbage recipes ('cuz it was even on sale at my store this week!!) and found this Cabbage  & Noodles which sounded perfect.  I have some pepper bacon in the freezer that I will probably add too.
Thursday - This is our busy day this week.  I have appointments in Moses Lake (maybe Quincy too if I can get in to get my filling fixed!), Daisy is getting "beautified", and KK has another basketball game - this time here.  Ya'll know what happens when I get busy, right???  CROCKPOT!  And since I have all those whole chickens, I will go the roast chicken route.  Here is my method - I will give it The Famous Dave's treatment for spices (the chickies love lemony chicken), perch it on potatoes wrapped in tin foil, and let it go all day.  If it has gone to far fall-of-the-bone, I might try to throw it in the oven to crisp the skin a bit.   But usually I don't - it isn't a beautiful presentation, but it is juicy and delicious - a winner in my book.
Friday - I have realized something.  I don't make what I put on my meal-plans on Fridays.  I guess I'm tired by the time it rolls around.  We eat leftovers or random things.  I decided the way to change that - put something I LOVE on the plan for Friday!  And I love Chicken Thighs alla Puttenseca.  The bonus - it is so stinkin' easy.  If you can open a can of tomatoes you can make this recipe!
Saturday - So, two Friday's a said we were going to have tilapia and baked lemon pasta.  It didn't happen.  Let's give it a try for Saturday!
Sunday - I also found some short ribs on-sale, so it is definitely PW's Brasied Short Ribs again. Last time I made the polenta but without the goat cheese (I couldn't find it around here), but it wasn't a huge hit with the chickies.  This time I have goat cheese, but think I'll try some in the mashed potatoes.  mmmmmmm.. making my mouth water just thinking about it!
I hope everybody has a great week filled with much sunshine!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

9 comments:

Lisa said...

I hope the short ribs are as good as they look. I've been wanting to try them for a while now but waiting until I get them on sale.

Let us know how they come out:)

Shelby said...

I guess I am going to have to finally break down and try your chicken dish. Would you believe the only thing stopping me is the olives? I know, bad girl.

BTW when I saw gray, gray, go away all I thought about was the fact I colored my hair this morning to cover those grays. ;-)

Linda said...

As much as I love cold weather, I am SO ready for spring and sunshine!

I wish I could convince Hubby that cooked cabbage is really good--I love it. Must be the way it smells when it's cooking. :)

Lynn C Dot said...

I made the Puttanesca last night and it was great. Super easy. I served it on top of butered noodles with parsley. I shared the link for the recipe on facebook.

Susie @ Hick Chick said...

Lisa - I have made the short ribs before and I say they are fantastic! 5 stars for sure.

Lynn - I am currently obsessed with that puttenesca. It is divine and I'm so glad you enjoyed it enough to link it to facebook!

Jeannie said...

I made the philly spaghetti. Had a few bars of cream cheese from the holidays and had some marina (your recipe)in the freezer, so I made this for dinner last night. It was good. Creamy spaghetti, a nice change of pace. Yes I would make it again. I had the homemade marina sauce but I can see how adding a brick of cream cheese to some of these jar pasta sauces could greatly improve their flavor. Thanks again. Also made the tomato barley soup, a little bland for me so I had to add some red chili pepper flakes and it was a filling awesome soup. And the diced tomatoes were also a little too chunky for me, but I ate it anyway, next time I will process them first. Thanks again for all your recipes!!

Katy ~ said...

bwhahahahah...I saw the title and immediately thought of hair dye. Guess you know where my mind is at!

Susie @ Hick Chick said...

Jeannie - Thanks for stopping by and I'm so thrilled you made the marinara for your freezer. I think red pepper flakes would be an awesome addition to the tomato barley soup! I'm making the philly spaghetti as week speak.

Susie @ Hick Chick said...

Katy and Shelby - You guys are funny! LOL I don't have gray hairs (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)!!!

Stumble Upon Toolbar