Sunday, March 1, 2009

New Recipe Week

It seems like I'm tyring out a few new recipes this week. Hang on and let's go:

Monday - Another catfish recipe, as the girls really seemed to like it from a few weeks ago. This time we are going Oven-Fried Catfish. I've used this "frying" technique before with good results. Asparagus was only 98 cents a pound yesterday, so I think we'll have Roasted Potatoes & Asparagus. I've made this before and always half the dry spices.

Tuesday - KK requested ribs for our no points dinner this week. These Slow Cooker BBQ Ribs from AR have been my go to recipe for a couple of years. I use 1 cup of ketchup, 1 cup of BBQ sauce and never leave out the chili sauce, because well - I love it!

Wednesday - A basic family favorite. Shake & Bake Pork chops. When we were watching Ultimate Recipe Showdown on the Food Network and I asked the mini-chicks what my best recipe was and what I should submit, I got: "Pork chops. Your pork chops are the BEST!" Well, yeah - I just use store bought Shake N Bake because if I try anything else I get bottom lips tripping on the ground! I tried to explain that is not really a "recipe" and that I would get laughed at if I tried to submit that! They are still adamant that mine are the best!

Thursday - Piano lesson day. My week to drive (it is only about 5 or 6 miles from my house, so it isn't like it is really too bad!), but it does put me home a little later, so a few weeks ago I made a Shepard's Pie from leftovers of a pot roast dinner and froze it for later. I think later will arrive on Thursday.

Friday - KK loves lemony chicken. I got this recipe for Chicken Picatta off of the WW recipe review board:

Chicken Piccata L&T

8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
1/2 cup egg substitute
2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup dry white wine or chicken broth -- divided
5 tablespoons lemon juice -- divided
3 garlic cloves -- minced
1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons olive oil -- divided
2 tablespoons butter

Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. In a shallow dish, combine the egg substitute, 2 tablespoons wine or broth, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, garlic and hot pepper sauce. In another shallow dish, combine the flour, Parmesan cheese, parsley and salt. Coat chicken with flour mixture, dip in egg substitute mixture, then coat again with flour mixture.

In a large nonstick skillet, brown four chicken breast halves in 1-1/2 teaspoons oil for 3-5 minutes on each side or until juices run clear. Remove and keep warm. Drain drippings. Repeat with remaining chicken and oil. Remove and keep warm.

In the same pan, melt butter. Add the remaining wine or broth and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Boil, uncovered, until sauce is reduced by a fourth. Drizzle over chicken. Yield: 8 servings.

I will definitely mix the dry coating into a ziplock for the Shake & Bake effect, that way you get a good coating and I can measure the leftovers to see how much a really used. (Such a points counter!!! LOL) Also, I may marinate them in yogurt all day before I cook them. I will definitely add some capers to the sauce.

Saturday - I'm going to start going to a 3 week master gardener class offered by our local coopeartive extension on vegetable gardening!! I'm so excited. We'll go with another WW crockpot recipe:

Italian Cream Cheese Drumsticks
cooking spray
12 Skinless Chicken Drumsticks
1 (0.6 oz.) Package Zesty Italian Salad Dressing Mix
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 (10 3/4 oz.) Can 98% Fat Free Cream of Chicken Soup
4 oz light cream cheese, cubed
1/2 Cup Water (I'll use white wine)

Spray 3 quart slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray and place the drumsticks into the bottom. Sprinkle the drumsticks with salt, pepper and Italian Salad Dressing mix. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours. About two hours before the chicken is done cooking, combine the cream of chicken soup, cream cheese and water and pour over drumsticks. Cover and continue cooking. When ready to serve, spoon the sauce evenly over each drumstick.
Yield: 6 servings (2 drumsticks with sauce)

This is very similiar to a recipe I already use for chicken breasts with angel hair, but we'll give it a try in the slow cooker with the legs (which the chickies love!).

Sunday - I found this little meatless number over on AR, Creamy Artichoke Pasta. I will do lots to lighten it up. First off - on half that much pasta, as we are more "sauce people" instead of "noodle people", 1/2 the butter and oil, fat free cottage cheese (which is gross to eat, but okay in recipes) and way less parmesan cheese. I should be able to get it down to about 7 or 8 points per servings.

If you try any of them let me know!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Shelby said...

I think its so cool your family asks you for shake and bake pork chops. Grumpy actually asked me for that the other night but because I'm stubborn I won't buy the mix packet. lol. I had to make my own recipe.

Anonymous said...

LOL about the Shake 'n Bake; I haven't had it in eons, but I remember liking it A LOT.

Another great menu week! I love "mini chicks"

Alyson's Wonderland said...

LOL that's great about the Shake N Bake. When I was in kindergarten we did a project about our favorite foods, a apparently when asked what my favorite thing that my mom makes was I said "Stew from the can". Hey, what can I say, it's good!

Anonymous said...

Oh!! You got really delicious recipe!! Nice detail of Chicken Picatta recipe!! Great!!

Stumble Upon Toolbar