Sunday, March 15, 2009

Easy-Peasy Plan

It took me forever to make a meal-plan last week. I couldn't decide, I was scouring recipes. I don't know what my problem was, because this week I decided in about 15 minutes with complete recipes and everything!

Monday - Have you noticed I always do seafood on Monday's? This week is no exception with Pan-Seared Red Snapper on the agenda. I loved this Spinach and Onion Couscous as did the mini-chicks, and it sounds good with the fish.

Tuesday - Have you ever noticed I always have something fattening on Tuesday's? :) I'm cravin' some red meat - so I tried this London Broil with blue cheese way last summer and have used the spice rub on my steaks ever since. Also, since I'm not a countin' these potatoes that all my cooking friends have been making are finally gonna be mine:

SCALLOPED POTATOES

2 cups whipping cream
5oz pkg. of Boursin cheese with herbs
3 ½ lbs. red potatoes, scrubbed, thinly sliced
1 ½ tbs. chopped parsley

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Butter a 9 by 13-inch pan with 2-inch sides.

Stir cream and cheese in heavy saucepan until cheese melts and is smooth.
Arrange ½ the potatoes in overlapping rows. Season with salt and pepper. Pour ½ the cheese mixture over potatoes to cover.

Repeat with remaining pots, salt and pepper, and cheese mixture.

Bake until golden brown, about 1 hour. Top with parsley.

I will definitely make my own cheese also!

Wednesday - Have you ever noticed on Wednesday's I get back to counting points? This week we are going meatless and having Mexican Tortilla Pizza's with the lentil's from these tacos, instead of refried beans. Since we aren't trying for vegan, cheese'll probably make an appearance somewhere!

Thursday - Have you ever noticed on Thursday's it quick/easy or crock pot? I bought a nice package of boneless pork roasts and Costco a few weeks back and thought this Tangy Slow-Cooker Pork Roast would be a good utilization of it.

Friday - Have you ever noticed there is nothing special about Friday's on my meal plan? LOL
I'm feeling we need some chicken and maybe some Chinese influences. From the WW recipe board:

Kung Pao Chicken

If you like fiery flavors, add up to one teaspoon of crushed red pepper. Speed up dinner by using bottled ground fresh ginger and bottled minced garlic. Total time: 30 minutes.

1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
4 cups broccoli florets
1 tablespoon ground fresh ginger (such as Spice World), divided
2 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/4-inch strips
1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon cornstarch
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped salted peanuts

Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add broccoli and 2 teaspoons ginger to pan; sauté 1 minute. Add water. Cover; cook 2 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender. Remove broccoli from pan; keep warm.
Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in pan; add remaining 1 teaspoon ginger, crushed red pepper, and chicken. Cook 4 minutes or until chicken is lightly browned, stirring frequently.

Combine broth and next 5 ingredients (through garlic) in a small bowl, and stir with a whisk. Add broth mixture to pan; cook 1 minute or until mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Return broccoli mixture to pan; toss to coat. Sprinkle with peanuts.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 1 cup chicken mixture and 1 1/2 teaspoons peanuts)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 239(30% from fat); FAT 7.9g (sat 1.1g,mono 3.7g,poly 2.3g); PROTEIN 30.9g; CHOLESTEROL 66mg; CALCIUM 60mg; SODIUM 589mg; FIBER 3g; IRON 1.8mg; CARBOHYDRATE 11.4g

Cooking Light, DECEMBER 2005

Saturday - Have you ever noticed that I either go allllll out on Saturday's or just go easy? This week it's easy Potato Soup (made like my mom did) and low-fat grilled cheese.

Sunday - Have you ever noticed that there is no rhyme or reason to Sunday's meals? This week it will be a pizza of some type. I might make a dough or just do an english muffin. I definitely make pizza sauce and I have some turkey pepperoni that needs to be used.

I hope everybody has a great meal week!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should do chowder and baked beans in honor of your friends who will be in Boston this week. ;)

Carrie said...

Glad you had an easier time of selecting a menu this week - looks great!

Linda said...

Great ideas! You're making me hungry.

Susie @ Hick Chick said...

Steph - :) I should, shouldn't I? LOL Eat an extra lobster roll for me. I'm so sad I have no money and couldn't go.

Lobs - Thanks for the props.

Granny - Hey, your blog makes me want to like the screen most of the time!

LadyJayPee said...

Have you ever noticed I want to copy you by doing a meal plan but I still don't have my act together? Well, I kind of attempted last week. It makes life so much easier (but it helps if one's freezer doesn't die).

Stumble Upon Toolbar