Sunday, October 11, 2009

Brrrrrrrr..Let's have some comfort food.

It was COLD here this morning. Way colder than it should be for mid-October. So, we are having the week of the comfort food.

Monday - KK's idea of comfort food is lemon-y chicken. I found this Lemon Cream Sauce. Sounds good over some simple lemon pepper broiled chicken and couscous. (Hey, comfort and good for you!)


Tuesday - KK has a volleyball game and the orchard should be finished picking today. That means busy evening for the momma, so I have some chili in the freezer from a few weeks ago. In an attempt to find a decent substitute for my favorite Buttery Corn Bread (which I realize isn't going to be possible), I thought I give this Weight Watchers Cornbread a shot.

Wednesday - SS has piano. She is practicing her Christmas songs already for a recital in December. She is very excited but said, "How can Jingle Bells be the hardest song ever???" LOL I love my SS. I thought we'd try somebody's else idea of "comfort food". I have only made sauerkraut maybe twice for the chickies. We'll see how it goes over. Plus, I won't be using chops, I have a small pork roast that needs to be used. AND I get Granny Smith apples from the orchard FOR FREE! Gotta love that.

German-Style Pork and Sauerkraut
Serves: 4

4 boneless pork chops, about 1-inch thick
1 tsp. Mrs. Dash seasoning
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 large onion, sliced thick
2 turnips, peeled and sliced
2 Granny Smith apples, cored, peeled & sliced
16 baby carrots
1 can (6oz) sauerkraut, do not drain
10 3/4-oz can low-fat cream of celery soup
2/3 cup nonfat chicken broth
Spray large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Sprinkle pork chops with Mrs. Dash and pepper. Cook in skillet over medium heat until browned on both sides.

Spray inside of slow cooker with cooking spray. Combine sliced onion, turnips, apples and carrots in bottom of slow cooker. Top with sauerkraut. Place pork chops on top. Combine celery soup and broth; pour over all ingredients.

Cover and cook on LOW for 7-8 hours or HIGH for 3 1/2-4 hours.

340 calories, 9.7 g total fat, 46 mg cholesterol, 1,291 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrates, 10 g fiber, 28 g protein

Thursday - Last week I got to go and have lunch with my old friend. We had yummy greasy hamburgers and since I had already taken the afternoon off from work, and I was in a town with a fancy-dancy grocery store - I went grocery shopping. I FOUND RED LENTILS. It was a big deal. LOL I thought a nice spicy red lentil soup would be very comforting.

Friday - We will be going for SS's idea of comfort food tonight. Something with red sauce, noodles, cheese... YUM. Skillet Lasagna will be my jumping off point. I'll use my homemade sauce, probably only ground beef, mini-bowties (they are so cute!), and some mozzarella on top.

Saturday - I could tell you what I was cooking on Saturday but, then I would have to kill you. ;)

Sunday - So, last Sunday my meal-plan said sweet and sour chicken and egg drop soup. Didn't happen, I started my week of comfort food early and made Chicken and Dumplings. So, we will try the Asian thing again this week.

I hope everybody's week is filled with your idea of comfort, whatever that may be. And hey, if you gotta a second, click on that annoying google ad. ;)

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Katy ~ said...

Added the buttery corn bread to my recipe box finally. I have to try it!

Shelby said...

I'm so jealous you found red lentils!! I have looked and looked and still they don't have them up here!

Stumble Upon Toolbar