Friday, February 12, 2010

Dulce de Leche

My cooking friend, Dishy loves Dulce de Leche.... you must check out her posts about different recipes and the uses she has for the finished product.

I wanted to give it a try and wanting to live a little bit on the wild side - I decided to go with the unopened can method.  Check out A Year of Slow Cooking and her recipe (and disclaimers!!) about making it in the crockpot.  I put a slow cooker liner in my crockpot just in case the cans wanted to leave rust rings.  It worked like a charm!

All I can say this stuff is deadly to a diet!!! Make it at your own risk (both to caramel on your ceiling and bulges on your hips!)

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

JelliDonut said...

I LOVE dulce de leche. I would probably eat sawdust if it had this yummy goodness on top. That's why I don't keep it in the house.

Linda said...

Susie, that photo is awesome! I've been scared to try the unopened can method, but your pic is very persuasive. :)

DutchBakerGirl said...

This looks really good, Susie. What did you make with it? Or did you just eat it with a spoon? :)

Katy said...

You are toooo brave, grins. I still can't bring myself to do it. I went to your link and read through all the comments, and someone suggested using a church-key opener and poking two teeny holes in the top of the can and then wrap the top with a piece of tin foil to prevent water from falling in. Someone else suggested using a canning jar since they are made to be boiled anyway. It all still sounds kind of dicey to me LOL Kudos to you for doing this. I'm just going to stand over here and watch you for now.

What a Dish! said...

It looks SO GOOD!! I think the crockpot method is the next method I want to try out- it seems so much safer and calmer than doing it on the stove (which I won't do!)

Stumble Upon Toolbar