Tuesday, September 29, 2009

What I Want to Be When I Grow-up....

I know that my blog has mostly turned into my waxing lyrical about my meal plan, dinners, and recipes..... but I wonder - do you ever wonder what you want to be when you grow-up? I do, even though I'm sliding into 42 really hard.

When I was 17, I knew what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wanted to be an "accountant". I had taken high school accounting and "got it", even more than some of my really smart friends - the ones that were pulling A's & B's in advanced placement calculus and chemistry (which by the way, I wasn't even taking! LOL). I begged my parents for a typewriter (remember those??) when I was a freshman. I "knew" what I wanted to be when I grew up.

And I was... I'm not a CPA nor do I even have a BA in accounting, but I was an awesome bookkeeper, office administrator, financial administrator for an awesome boss & company for 19 1/2 years.

Then... I lost my mom on this day 6 years ago. Then 2 1/2 years later I lost my dad. Than I lost my awesome job. Granted, at the time I thought it was going to be step-forward, a chance to re-group. It hasn't quite turned out the way for me.... and now on this anniversary of one of the worse days of my life - I find myself asking "Is this really what I wanted to be when I grew up?"

How about you?

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Susie, I can only empathize with you, but "no" I did not want to be where I am now, but I have a strong faith that helps me get through my days and "see through the glass darkly." Try to see the future as a challenge you can surmount, hug your chickies every chance you get and keep on "keeping on!" Love you, Kathye

Jodi said...

I don't know what I want to be either, when I grow up. I know yesterday was a difficult day, but I pray today will be a little easier. Hang in there and know that you're surrounded by folks who hope for your greatest happiness and success. You can do anything you set your mind to doing!
And here's a HUG, for good measure.

Katy ~ said...

The question, I think, is not "what do I want to be?" but "WHO do I want to be?"

You are aces in my book. The rest is just detail.

Hugs!

Shelby said...

Oh Susie, your post really touched my heart. I had not realized you had lost both parents. :-(

I don't think many of us really know what we want to "be". Heck, I'm just 46 and now that I know what I want, I'm struggling trying to figure out how to (or if I even physically can) do it. Good luck in your pursuit.

Stumble Upon Toolbar