Saturday, April 4, 2009

Normal Week??

Wow... Last week was so out of norm - I caught what the mini-chicks had and by Wednesday was not feeling so hot. They spent Thursday and Friday with their dad and I concentrated on wiping my leaking nose! EWWWWW! I hope this week will get back to our level of "normal".

Monday - It's a menu repeat from a few weeks back - Oven Fried Catfish. This was a big hit with the chickies. I haven't gotten around to any sweet potato fries - I think this would be good opportunity for that.

Tuesday - I am ALLL KINDS OF EXCITED for Tuesday this week. Why you ask?? Usually the answer would be I was going to eat something totally fattening and get rid of my cravings, but this week you'd be wrong. Mrs. S. and I are going to a Taste of Home Cooking School!! I have wanted to go to one of these for years, and this year it is going to be close enough to go!!! AND Mrs. S. was kind enough yet again to indulge my bucket list!

Wednesday - Another popular repeat from a few weeks ago - Kona Chicken. It was well received and deemed a "do over" from the chickies. I'll make a big batch of rice, I've got plans for the leftovers on Thursday.

Thursday - A think a little spice is in order to liven up our week. I think Pepperoncini Beef is just the ticket. I think I will serve it with sauted peppers and onions and the leftover rice.

Friday - I'm in a put the leftovers to good use mode - and burritos sound awesome. I will make some refried beans and add some of the leftover beef, wrap it all up in a tortilla and be all happy.

Saturday - I am starting to crave some potato salad.... potato salad is one of the best things in the whole entire world. My dad and my ex both prefered macaroni salad - but not me..... I love a good ol' potato slathered down in some tangy mayo with maybe a hard-boiled egg or two. Last summer I quested long and hard for a perfect potato salad, and as I may have mentioned - I'm sure it contributed to my 20 lb. weight gain. So, in an effort to keep those pesky 20 lbs. where they belong - this is my favorite "light" potato salad recipe:

CREAMY POTATO SALAD

6 red potatoes (2 lb.), med., unpeeled
1/4 c. green onions, chopped
1 (2 oz.) jar diced pimiento, drained
1/2 c. mayonnaise, reduced-calorie
1/2 c. fromage blanc OR
1/4 c. low fat yogurt and 1/4 c. low-fat sour cream
2 tbsp. prepared mustard
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. celery seeds
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
Green onion fans (optional)

Place potatoes in a medium saucepan; cover with water and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer potatoes 25 minutes or until tender. Drain and let cool. Peel potatoes and cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Combine potatoes, green onions and pimiento in a large bowl. Combine mayonnaise and next 8 ingredients in a small bowl; stir well. Add to potato mixture, tossing gently to coat. Cover and chill. Garnish with green onion fans, if desired.

For a "side" for my potato salad, we'll have some oven-fried chicken!

Sunday - EASTER! I know the chickies will be disappointed we aren't having ham - but I honestly don't really like ham and I have never made a ham a liked well enough to spend the money on. So, we are having this nice little porketta roast because I said so and I'm the mom (and the cook!).

In addition to all the dinners - I'm making these couple of extras in the pipeline as well. For lunches I've got a version of Fruited Chicken Salad in the works. I will probably use almonds instead of pecans and craisins instead of raisins. I think this would be really good on salad for lunch. Plus I seem to have a few over-ripe (i.e. black) bananas and just wasn't feeling the banana bread love and "gawked" these little banana cookie treats from a nice little blog.



Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Katy said...

Your week sounds absolutely delicioso!! YUM all the way. I'm thinking that Kono chicken is going to find its way to my house, too.

Hope you're feeling better!

Linda said...

I'm so excited you're going to cooking school! And as usual, your menu made me hungry.

Darin and Angie Smith said...

Have you been here yet?
http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

Let me know what you think.

Susie @ Hick Chick said...

Yep... been there, bookmarked! LOL I made Lazy Chicken from last week from there. That is dedication, I don't think I could do it for 365 days!

Stumble Upon Toolbar